Friday, May 09, 2008

Three (Rather Poor) Photos of My Work


This drawing was inspired by Damien Rice's song "Elephant" ("'cause you can't paint an elephant/quite as good as she can").  I am taking an intro to drawing summer school class this summer and am really looking forward to it.  This is one of my first drawings in several years.  

Okay, I have a confession.  I call myself an artist (I genuinely consider myself one) but I am just now getting back into it very s l o w l y.  I've done very little work.  Should I even be allowed to call myself an artist?  Maybe not.  But at least I'm trying.  That's why I enrolled in the drawing class--in hopes it will give me confidence in my work and help establish creating art as a daily habit.  Who knows what next?  Art school?  The following are my work from several years ago:



Hope you enjoyed it.  : )  I aspire to someday become an artist that motivates and inspires others, simply by seeing my work, to become artists themselves, in whatever medium.  I want to capture the wonder of life.  

And If I don't post a picture of a painting in a few weeks, please nag mercilessly!  I wish I had a group of artist friends to meet in coffee shops and share and discuss work together.  That comes very close to my version of heaven. 

4 comments:

MrsG said...

I would definitely say you're an artist!
How about a virtual coffee shop? Not quite the same thing, I admit, but it could be nearly as satisfying.

Thanks for finding me - I'm really enjoying your blog!

A. x

Rachel said...

You're an artist if you believe you are. Even though ART is a thing, it comes from WHO we ARE: it would not exist without that essence of our selves. Of course that essence is driven to create those things--but is the drive that matters, not the output.

As for skill, youve got it! It needs more practice and experimentation, but what you need, you have.

I too want a group of artists to hang with. Too bad youre not in my neck of the woods. I would love to hang with you, esp. since you know ASL!

As for virtual coffee shop, stop by www.wetcanvas.com

Anonymous said...

here, here, for the virtual coffee shop! Just stopping by because of like interests and loved some of your comments! Your sketches are great!

Martha Elaine Belden said...

already mentioned this elsewhere... but i LOVE that elephant. i love elephants...

:) and yes you're an artist. as i am a writer who doesn't write enough. we both have the passion and the desire and the natural talent... we're just living on a roller-coaster of motivation/un-motivation.

here's to (you) staying and (me) getting motivated!