Sunday, May 11, 2008

Tats

Here is one of the cooler tattoos I've seen for a guy.  My favorite tattoos on guys are the ones on their shoulder.  In this one if I were doing the tattoo, I wouldn't include the reddish part, I think.  I like the plain black.  (Is the red maybe from the tattoo being done recently?)  















Here's a pretty cool rose.  This is probably fairly large in real life, but if I got one like this, it would be really small.  When I went to Europe last summer I saw a woman with a tiny tattoo on her neck right below her earlobe.  It was the perfect blend of exquisite and edgy.  I think I'd get one similar to this if I ever got a tattoo there.  

I also really love a lot of tattoos that I've seen people have on their wrists.  I once heard of a girl who used to chronically cut herself on her wrists and arms.  One day, as she was about to cut herself, she realized, "I'm worth more than this."  So she had "Worth" tattooed on her wrist to remind her whenever she thought about cutting.  After that, she finally gained the strength to stop cutting herself!

I guess that when it comes down to tattoos on my own body, I'm a bit too wussy to get one, both for fear of the pain and of stretch marks eventually morphing them into goulish affairs (although this wouldn't be much of a problem on an arm or leg, I guess).  Maybe the biggest reason, however, for not getting a tattoo is I just haven't found one meaningful enough for me to wear the rest of my life.  If I found a tattoo, like the girl who found "Worth," that I loved both its meaning and aesthetic, I'd probably get it!  

3 comments:

crackers and cheese said...

I like the first tattoo, minus the Chinese symbol. What does it even mean? I also really like that rose!

I still want to get the dove/flame design you designed for me. I just can't decide where to put it. Somewhere I can cover in my practice, but somewhere that I see every day, but not somewhere that would stretch in pregnancy. I also really like the wrist tattoos, but I think words are better on wrists than pictures or symbols.

My friend and I were having this conversation about tattoos, about how we'd want it to be something meaningful that wouldn't change for the rest of our lives. But then we talked about how even if it was only meaningful for that season or decade of our live, tattoos can serve as a reminder of the different chapters in our lives, things that we don't want to forget, even if they don't hold the same meaning anymore.

The Pensive Poet said...

Kelly, I agree--minus the Chinese symbol would make it cooler. I've heard stories of people getting Chinese symbols or other languages as tattoos, and having the native tell them that the tattoo is done in really bad calligraphy or is incorrect! How embarrassing!

It is odd how life is so synchronized but I just posted this post about tattoos last night and this morning my roommate and friend started randomly talking about tattoos! Weird.

Martha Elaine Belden said...

well... i think we all know my stance on tattoos (i.e. i love them) but i'm also really big on only getting it if it actually means something. granted... the big one on my forearm doesn't necessarily mean anything... the design, after all is just a flourish i found in mucha's stylebook... but the word HOPE in hebrew has huge meaning for me.

ive never been very good at holding on to hope... but this year is showing me that even the tiniest glimmer can turn your life around. it's easy for me to say right now that i have hope because my health is in tact and things are basically good in my life. but it's my prayer that i will one day learn to hope even when life is shit... as i'm sure it will be from time to time as life goes on.

anyway... sorry for the rambling comment. basically... i like tattoos. but i definitely say, hold out till you have one in mind that actually means something :)