Sunday, May 18, 2008

On being a butterfly

I just told a friend how it's funny, well, actually kind of sad, but toward the end of summers I always start really feeling like myself again, but then school starts. I covet the day there's no more school! But I also realize it's a little scary to be out of school and move on and change things so much. I think that's why a lot of people don't make a big change after graduating, but I also think a lot of those people end up regretting it. I believe firmly that everyone needs to spread their wings at some point in their life; usually when they're young.  Your wings often grow less flexible the older you get.

School.  Sigh.  Sometimes I enjoy going to classes, if they're something I'm fascinated by.  I love meeting all kinds of different people, and have made most of the best friends of my life in college.  But the stress just eats at me.  I can't be my happiest like this.  Going to school puts me in survival mode, not thriving.  Some people may argue that you simply have to have the right mentality, and you'll thrive anywhere.  Well, maybe this is true, but I feel healthy again when summer has had its effect on me for a few months.  I hope I feel like that when I get a job someday, but I'm a little scared I won't.  It's just so much easier to be happy when there's no school.

I'm so glad it's summer.  I can't wait to feel like me again.  I've only got one more year of this bloody hell.

3 comments:

Red said...

I know the feeling! I grew up by the seaside, in Italy, and summer was just the best time. Unlike you, though, I always used to look forward to going back to school come September. Yep, that's the dork I used to be and, I suspect, still am!

Regarding our lack of local friends... we are somewhat penalized by the fact that we work from home, which makes us kinda sheltered. Although I suspect that if we did work outside of the house, it would be in London, so our friends would still be London-based.

Also, we now live in a rather deprived area of Kent, where people start having children age 16. Which makes people our age... well, grandparents! There is a massive chasm in our experiences and while it may be interesting to discuss life choices, I am not sure that any lasting friendship could blossom.

We invited our neighbours round when we first moved here, but the ones on our left made an excuse and never came and the ones on our right showed up two hours late with a crying child that I had to bribe with cheese all night. We never socialized with them again after that!

I don't know about Plymouth and Bristol, but I've also heard that people from oop north are friendlier than people from the south. I've never ventured very far north, though, so I couldn't tell you if it's true.

Red said...

Sorry for the mammoth comment!

Martha Elaine Belden said...

i really don't want to burst any bubbles of hope, but college was a much freer time. at least you HAVE summer to look forward to. when you get a job (unless you're a teacher, which i guess you might be) you don't get a summer. so there's not really an end in sight.

college at least gives you the opportunity to be constantly learning about a variety of things an meeting an eclectic mix of people, etc. in the working world you learn, but all about your particular job. and you meet people, but all people who do what you do.

enjoy college while you can, friend. i'm not saying life after college sucks... it doesn't. but many of the things you're saying "kill your spirt" about school... are even worse in the working world.

i want you to learn to soar and feel like yourself no matter your circumstances. otherwise you'll always be looking to what's next and never feel content where you are :)