Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I left my heart on Picadilly Line

Gosh, I feel like I post more than the average bear on places I'd like to live But you see, I research ideal living situations recreationally.  Bored?  Let's find a new place to live!  Let's email friends who live there or nearby and ask them their likes and gripes!

England has captured my heart.  I've gone to such lengths that I've even researched weather and climate information, fun things to do in different places in England, where the people are said to be friendliest...  I haven't applied for jobs yet, but give me six months.  

One city I'm really interested in is Leeds.  One English friend, Fran, gave it glowing reviews.  Another lovely woman I ran across online also loved it.  I hear that it's really artsy (an absolute must), has lots of good shopping, is a music center, and the people are pretty friendly since it's northern (it's fabled that the further north you go in England, the warmer the personalities).












It is also fairly close to where a few of my English friends live.  It would be so nice to be able to just jump on a train for an hour to go see them!  

4 comments:

Glamourpuss said...

Weather and climate? Grey and wet, predominantly.

And I'm not sure it's true that people are friendlier the further north you go. Basically, outside of the big cities - especially London, people will be less guarded.

But if you're looking for places to live, Bristol is pretty cool, as is Bath, and Totnes. Cornwall is gorgeous. London is like nowhere else on earth. And Norfolk is pretty but full of freaks. Bit like Wales.

;-)

Puss

Martha Elaine Belden said...

take me with you?

Red said...

That's a cool hobby you've there! You know... the researching where it would be cool to live.

I used to dream of England and I came over (from Italy) as soon as I could. But now, years of grey skies have left me dreaming of Seville... and since you've been there,I'm sure you will agree!

Red said...

I lived in London for many, many years, and I had the best time of my life there while I was a student. Beint at uni, with a little part-time job on the side, was so much fun!

However, as soon as I started working full time, London kinda lost its appeal for me. With the a long commute to work, I found that I didn't really have time to enjoy anything London had to offer (other than its crappy Underground system).

Then we decided that we wanted to buy a property, and we just couldn't afford London prices, so we moved out to Kent (we're quite close to Canterbury now).

I still miss some things about London: the open-mindedness of the people who live there, for starters, the buzzing cultural life, the restaurants... To some extent, I also felt a lot safer in London than I do here. Because there are always people out and about, I felt cocooned, I guess. After 6pm the streets here are spookily deserted!

What I like about being out here in Kent is that within a 15-minute drive we can be at the seaside, or in open countryside. But we do feel isolated, and we haven't made a single new friend in the five years we've been here. All our friends are people who still live in London or people we met in London and who have since moved out of the big city too.

So, my advice to you would be... keep dreaming of England, but if you ever decide to move here, move to a city, not a small town!

The long-term plan for us would be to return/move to Italy eventually, but with the political and economic situation there being what it is... I don't see it happening any time soon!