Sunday, June 01, 2008

The Cat Saga Comes to an Abrupt End (I Think)

Today I went and saw someone's kittens--they were actually the babies of a stray that lives near her house. After I played with them, I noticed my face got really itchy.  But yesterday at the pound where there are thousands of them I noticed that my eyes got itchy. It seems like this happens especially with longhaired cats. When I held the beautiful black cat yesterday I noticed that she shedded a lot and some of her hair got on my face and clothes. My eyes were itchy for most of the rest of the day. : / So I don't know if I'm truly allergic to cats, or allergic to tons of cats, if the allergy would get worse if I owned a cat or if being around a cat more often would get me more "used to" it.  Even though I hate this, I'm thinking maybe a puppy is better for me than kitties. Bummer! On a positive note, maybe I can find a tiny little dog and pretend it's a cat and train it to go inside on a wee-wee pad so it's lower maintenance. Gosh, I'm still not completely convinced that I don't want a cat, but since I'm feeling hesitant combined with probable allergies--maybe I should wait.  I don't want my mild reaction to morph me into a puffed out marshmallow face someday.  : /

2 comments:

crackers and cheese said...

I think you made a wise decision. But if I were you, I wouldn't completely close the door on getting a cat. Maybe get tested for allergies sometime. Also, did you ever have a reaction to Rouble? Some short-haired cats, and Russian Blues in particular, don't affect people with allergies very much. I've had other friends who were highly allergic to cats be fine around Rouble. Course, being around a cat for a few hours is different than living with one, but you have stayed at my house before. Rouble is a pure-bred Russian Blue that we got from a breeder (translation: expensive!), but you'd be surprised. I've seen cats at shelters that look like full-blood Russian Blues, so maybe keep your eyes open.

Rachel said...

thats sad. cats are great companions. I read somewhere that there is a new breed of cat (or maybe dog) that is completely hypoallergenic. Google it and check it out.