Wednesday, July 23, 2008

i feel lonely today.

i feel like a bit of a snob. the new hairstylist i tried for the first time today reminded me of it. i said something about how the place where she got her tattoos is supposed to be the best place in town. she said she thinks all artists are great. i guess deep down i think all artists are great in their own way, too. i may not enjoy or be profoundly moved by their work, but i greatly respect anyone who uses their creativity (ethically). expressing your art is truly a gift you give to all the world.

i need to be more humble. i realize this is a healthy, vital characteristic in life. how do you become more humble? sign up to serve people somehow?

i think sometimes i get snobby when i feel insecure. she made me feel a bit insecure: she was so loud and THERE IN MY FACE. that kind of personality. but i like how she cut my hair (although i feel bad about not going to my friend who cuts hair, but i just needed something different), and maybe i can learn something from the bohemian girl with gold bangles and tattoos all up one arm.

5 comments:

Martha Elaine Belden said...

i'm sorry you're feeling lonely :(

and i don't think you're even a little bit snobby. there's nothing wrong with liking what you like... being impressed with someone or something more so than someone or something else.

i think you're fabulous.

crackers and cheese said...

I'm with Martha, I didn't read snobbishness in this post. Unless you felt it in your heart and you knew you felt snobby, but what you described, expressing that someone is one of the best, isn't a snobby thing to say.

I think you're feeling lonely, and this lady was really intense, and it was a different situation, and it made you feel overly sensitive and unsure of yourself. Let it go. You're not a snob, and don't let some hairdresser make you feel like you are!

The Pensive Poet said...

Yeah, you two are right.

Rachel said...

Im with Martha and Crackers. It isnt snobby to have a preference for somethings or someones, and I too have that same "snobbish" preference for the creative folks.

Cara said...

Gosh, the age old question: how do you become more humble?

I think, like you mentioned, serving helps. I also think it's hard to feel small when you don't realize how great something else (i.e. God) is. I speak for myself when I say that I don't think I will ever understand God's goodness and therefore will never be truly humble.