Sunday, February 18, 2007

Tonight I feel exquisitely happy.

There are those rare times that you come to a mutual understanding with the people closest to you; moments of connection.

I wish it could last forever--feeling so close to someone, so understood.

In the famous lines from Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind:

Clementine: "This is it, Joel. It's going to be gone soon."
Joel: "I know."
Clementine: "What do we do?"
Joel: "Enjoy it."

Sometimes I think we get so wrapped up in agendas and plans and getting the boxes checked that we forget to just sit back for a moment and enjoy life for what it's worth. Not to say that life is all about happiness. Sometimes we must forego our own happiness for the good of others and/or ourselves. But many times I think that people unnecessarily deprive themselves of simple happiness that can be found in the small moments, such as not letting oneself get excited about something that has the potential to happen. Some people won't let themselves get happy about potentials because they are afraid that their hopes will be crushed. I think it's better to enjoy that moment in time. Your hopes may or may not get crushed. Will it really change things that much to enjoy the happiness before you?

Life's too short to not be as romantic as possible. Life's too short to build concrete boxes for buildings instead of elegant Gaudí architecture. Life's too short to not enjoy as much of it as you can. They really aren't kidding when they tell you to live each day as if it were your last. Of course a little consideration for the future must be taken into account, but if you're not going to worry about it 5 years from now, what's the use worrying about it at all? Ask yourself: Would I do what I'm doing right now for no pay? If not, what would I want to do the rest of my life for absolutely no pay? Why am I not doing it?

There's this great book called "Light His Fire" by Ellen Kreidman. She also writes a book for men called "Light Her Fire." I highly suggest them. Not only to they give you insight into relationships, but they help you better understand yourself.

So why are you waiting to do whatever it is that makes you come alive? As cliché as it may be, today is the first day of the rest of your life.

1 comment:

Martha Elaine Belden said...

beautiful, britt.

beautiful :)