Thursday, February 08, 2007

6 Weird Details of My Life

Each person who gets tagged needs to write a blog post telling 6 weird things about him/herself as well as clearly state the rules. After you state your 6 weird things, you need to choose 6 people to be tagged and list their names. Don’t forget to leave a comment that says “you’re tagged” in their comments and tell them to read your blog for information as to what it means.

Number 1. I am slightly OCD about recycling. Call me green; I would consider it a compliment, but I MUST recycle any scrap of paper, cardboard, plastic, or aluminum that I encounter. I am not a packrat (unless you ask my dad), but pre-recycled materials tend to build up wherever I am. Whenever I have to get my recycling done, I usually just plan a party so I have to get it all out of sight before anyone sees it. It apalls me that we don't have better recycling services here in the city, as well as in the US in general. I feel that the environment has been greatly neglected especially in the past few centuries. (Don't get me started--what a soapbox!)

2. Okay, this is really weird. But when drying my hands, if one is wet and the other is dry, I have to wet the dry one before I dry them both. I didn't say there is any logic or reasoning behind this, only it just doesn't feel right to not do it, haha.

3. I am a nerd in disguise. Tell me if I'm wrong--I can usually pull off the cool exterior, but deep down I would probably rather be off writing poetry or painting or reading than doing anything that normal young adults do. I'm not a big fan of tv (especially not that Rachael Ray, blech!) and I'm always disappointed with myself when I spend vast amounts of time on the internet. I'm also shy and introverted in reality, but just a good faker at being outgoing.

4. I'm slightly deaf. Not physically, just psychologically. Sometimes I focus so hard on things that I can't even hear what people are saying. Also, I often have to ask men to repeat themselves. People have given me hearing screenings at least twice, and it shows that I can hear better than the average person. When I'm listening.

5. My boyfriend and my roommate start laughing whenever I start talking about him. I'm not sure how it all got started, but I am in love. With the works of Salvador DalĂ­. I don't fully understand it myself. To the average viewer, it's all freaky-weird. But his work, it speaks poetry to my eyes.

6. Speaking of slightly odd fixations, I also have a celeb crush. I never thought I would be one for having celeb crushes, I mean, why not just focus on the here and now? But this crush is not on just anyone, mind you. No Brad Pitts, Matt Damons, or pretty boys for me. My celeb crush is (You can't tell Shawn, okay?) Alton Brown. Yes, the one off of Food Network. He hosts the show "Good Eats." For a 40+ year old, he is so geeky and brainy and educated and......d r e a m y.......... Okay, maybe "dreamy" isn't quite the word I would use to describe him, but the guy just grows on you. Like a fungus. And he's freakin' hilarious. I once told a lesbian friend about this and she said, "Yeah, Britt, that is kinda creepy." But it was entertaining reading his blogs on Blogger, until some real weirdo hacked them and he took it off.

Did anyone else have a hard time only picking 6 things? Haha. Such is life. My philosophy is that everyone has weird, nerdy parts deep, deep down. Or maybe not so deep. But I think that people really do prefer goofy, fun, weird people to someone who is stiff and sterile. Blah. Give me goofiness or give me sushi, just don't be normal.

3 comments:

Martha Elaine Belden said...

hi britt!
thank you so much for your lovely comment and kind thoughts. i hope to get to meet you sometime soon. and to comment on your stuff... two things...

one... i LOVE salvador dali! i have six of his prints and an awesome book about his life and work. i've loved him since high school.

two... my uncle is one of alton brown's best friends. if you ever watch the credits on good eats my uncle is patrick belden (he wrote all the music and does all the sound for the show)... i'll see what i can do about an autograph or something. (small world, right??)

Cara said...

ooOoooOoOoOoo, i never knew about that hand drying thing. you are so weird. not sure if we can be friends anymore.

love,
eye blood girl

crackers and cheese said...

Salvador Dali is pretty awesome - and we share a birthday :) My artist uncle actually had one of his sketches! It's tiny, but he paid a few thousand dollars for it. I think it was an incredible investment :)

Did I tell you about the artist costume party I want to have? I want to throw a party, and everyone has to come dressed as an artist! I'd like to be Salvador Dali or Andy Warhol. Someone could be Frido, or Van Gosh, with a bandaged ear - the possibilities are endless!

I love the last line of this post, btw.