Wednesday, January 21, 2009

I think I need to write this down for the world to see, just so my head doesn't explode.

Clinical Psychology

Pros:
~Getting a sense of fulfillment from work by directly helping people.
~Widening the knowledge base through research.
~Psychology in general is fascinating to me.  
~I love the idea of helping people become healthier and happier.  What better thing could you do for a person?
~A variety of career options within the field:  be a therapist, teach, or research.  
~A variety of places you could work:  private practice, in a hospital, in a university, in many other places, I'm sure...
~Tons of different topic areas to explore.
~Personal growth resulting from the information you have to learn in school.  Most of the psychologists and psychology majors I've met have been absolutely lovely, fascinating people I'd want to be around all the time.  I know I would grow and understand myself more as a person if I were in this field.

Cons:
~I wonder if I could handle being around "down" to mentally disturbed people all day.
~A slight risk of physical harm from patients.
~LOTS of paperwork.  I HATE paperwork.
~Insurance, aka "Notes from the Dark Side."
~LOTS of schooling.  I'm rather disenchanted with school at the moment, but still feel like I would enjoy going to school for Clinical Psychology.  Not to mention that getting into a program is almost as competitive as med school programs.  Yikes!
~Would I actually enjoy research?  All I know is I hate statistics and often find my eyes glazing over when reading scientific research articles.  Would this improve with more exposure to the material?
~Maybe I wouldn't make quite as much money as I would with a doctorate or even master's degree in another field.  Then again, I could live quite comfortably.

Fashion Design

Pros:
~Creating beautiful things.  A colorful job.
~Improving the choices of what's out there.  This is a driving factor:  I chronically find myself disappointed with the clothing on the market.
~Potential to work for myself.
~Potential to live in exotic locales:  NYC, Paris, London, Milan, Tokyo...
~Only one to two years of additional schooling required.
~I feel like I have an exceptional amount of ideas for clothes, and am pretty creative when put on the spot, so this could really work for me.
~If you make it big, you can make well over $100K a year.  Whoo!

Cons:
~I didn't pour over Vogue magazines or constantly design clothes as a little girl.  Is my heart in it enough?
~You usually have to pay your dues before making it big, if you ever make it big.  Would I really be happy as a designer's assistant?  I'm not sure I would.  Then again, "if you never try, you never know..."
~I might have to live in a big city the rest of my life.  Not sure I'm okay with that.  Definitely don't think Shawn's okay with that.
~A lot of your success is based on luck and connections.
~I've never really followed styles--would that be a problem?  Probably.  Then again, I might follow style if my livelihood depended on it.
~I worry that most of the people I'd be around would be superficial.  I can't stand superficial people, and I don't believe that clothing drives the sway of life.
~I worry/know that the job wouldn't be as glamorous as I picture in my mind.

If you have any thoughts, please comment!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

This is a tough one babe. I don't know--im still in MY version of this very struggle!

I dunno. On one hand I think its important to pursue dreams that will bring you happiness, but on the other hand, if you spend your whole life pursuing happiness you'll never let yourself feel happy with the life you have.

Rachel said...

Hi

My debate is a) whether or not I should go back to school to get professional qualifications, so that I can get out of my unfulfilling dead end job,

And b) if I do, what path should I take? Should I go for professional certification for a career in medical billing? Or should I get a masters in social services or maybe even library sciences? Or should I go the creative route and get education to supplement the education and skills I already have, but cannot make use of due to lack of resources or experience?
Or c) should I just still with what I have--knowing I need to cultivate a higher standard of mental discipline in order to make my efforts sucessful?


So on and so forth...