Saturday, November 22, 2008

Do We Paint for Process or Product?

This question haunts me today.  I started reading the book "Life, Paint, and Passion:  Reclaiming the Magic of Spontaneous Expression" (by Michele Cassou and Stewart Cubley) today.  I'm also reading "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron.  "The Artist's Way" deals with unblocking one's creativity--a 12 week recovery program to reclaim your creative self.  Both books are fantastic.  In fact, Julia's book made me start wondering yet again if I'd like to go to art school and maybe be an art professor.  But "Life, Paint, and Passion" warns of basing too much emphasis on what others and even oneself think of one's work.  The reader is encouraged to paint spontaneously and intuitively, with no adherence to technique.  If blue feels right, you paint it.  Everyone knows how to paint anything, and if they don't, they invent it, just as children do.  This idea deeply resonates with a wild, bohemian aspect of myself.  To not be tied to society or people or what anyone thinks sounds incredible yet maybe impossible.  And when I was doing art for product rather than for joy of the process, I did get discouraged and burnt out.  

Yet in "The Artist's Way," Julia warns about doing too much too soon, as that is a surefire way to burn yourself out (lesson acknowledged!).  

I wonder if, as with many things in life, the middle road is the most balanced way.  On the one hand, I agree with "Life, Paint, and Passion" that if you've lost the ability to create without borders what is deeply meaningful to you, you've lost everything.  Maybe it isn't really even art
if it doesn't mean something to the artist (what do you think?).  But I don't think it's necessary to completely throw out technique.  Different techniques can only add to the ways you can express yourself through painting.  Sometimes you may feel like painting a raw emotion simply for the pleasure of the process of painting.  But sometimes you also want to accurately document the sweet line of your lover's chin against the moon or the way a tree branch melts into the sky.  

What do you think?  This raises so many questions in my mind.  It would be fascinating to hear what you have to say.  Does one paint for process or product?  

2 comments:

Cara said...

Hah, you said "lover's chin."

Just had to get that out of the way. I think you're right on about the middle road. Or maybe it's more like switching back and forth between lanes. I visited the art museums in Fort Worth the other weekend, and at The Modern I feel like I saw both process and product. There were the Pollocks, which seemed to be all process, all emotion. And then there were other artists I can't name that had these immaculate products. I personally really like Ben Shahn, who seems to take the middle road. There's emotion there, but it's expressing something with a purpose.

Blah blah blah, anyway, I think there are moments when it's about the passion and the process. After visiting the museums, I wanted to buy some canvas and paint and scrub some deep purple onto a canvas with no rhyme or reason. Just get something out from within me. And then there are moments when it's about the product, and you, Britt, have the potential to create a beautiful product that can speak to others, even if it's not suppose to be about what others think.

"To not be tied to society or people or what anyone thinks sounds incredible yet maybe impossible." That's something I've been thinking about a lot lately and something that keeps coming up in church, out of the pulpit, of all places. This sounds freeing, and I want it, and I think I'm the only one standing in the way of having it.

I can't wait to start on The Artist's Way.

Martha Elaine Belden said...

i bought the artist's way several months ago, but have yet to so much as crack its spine. i need to change that... and soon. maybe that will be my new year's resolution.

and i'm going to have to agree with cara's "changing lanes" theory. i think sometimes there is a middle ground, but i also think sometimes you have to stay in the emotive lane before you can create anything worthwhile in the product lane.

i almost think of the emotive lane as brainstorming... whether with pen or paintbrush. i think to be truly passionate about what you create... you have to really embrace and love both lanes... and allow yourself to exist in both at varying times.

did any of this make ANY sense?