Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Thanks for all the sweet comments on the last post.  I think I was just having one of those weeks where I felt like the world was a bit harsher than usual.  Sometimes I do expect too much from people, too.  I haven't been the best about calling people lately.  Except sometimes people retreat just to see if anyone notices, maybe that's what I was trying to do.  Sometimes a girl just needs to know that people still love her!  : )


Positive news, and I feel like a little girl saying this, but I'm going to start horseback riding lessons next week!  I'm super excited.  I rode off and on as a kid and then as a young teenager, but after a riding accident, I was spooked.  But lately I find myself looking longingly at photos of horses or at horses I see along the road.  So it's official, yay!  I've even run across an old acquaintance who has offered to let me ride her horses with her to help exercise them.  How fun!  I hope so much that it works out.  The photo above is of an Akhal-Teke, my favorite breed of horse at the moment (although I haven't yet ridden one).  Even though this photo doesn't show it, these horses are known for their particularly brilliantly sheeny coats.  They're also thinner than a lot of horses and rival Arabians in their stamina.  They are so beautiful and delicate.  It's funny, when I was looking through one of my old horse books, the Akhal-Teke just called to me.  It was stunning.  When I looked it up online, I found that the person who runs the national breed website lives out here in the middle of nowhere, just two hours away!  I couldn't believe it!  It almost seems like it was fate or something.  Maybe I'll venture out to their farm sometime.  When I was a girl, I always wanted to own a horse.  I still hope someday I can!  

6 comments:

crackers and cheese said...

This sounds wonderful! I'm really excited for you :) I also used to ride when I was younger, but gosh, it's probably been 7-8 years since I've been on a horse. I certainly miss it too. Maybe whenever I get my butt up to Missouri to come visit you, we can ride together? Please let us know if you do go visit that breeder!

The Pensive Poet said...

Yeah, I'll tell you all all about it if I go to the breeder, but I definitely won't be buying a horse until I can finance it myself! : p But I'd so love for you to come to Missouri! We have tons of great trail riding and stuff here; it would be so much fun!

Rachel said...

How wonderful! I always liked riding, though Ive only done it a handful of times in my life.

I just love the gear that horse is wearing in that picture. Its so...tribal and elegant.

Unknown said...

If you love Akhal Tekes like me you might want to check out my youtube postings:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQFfwY2Qzg4

the video exists in a bigger version as well but buffers while playing the first time. Plays well when you hit the replay button: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1ttf8HpjT4

another one is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OylYwGVURdM

have fun watching it,
cheers,
Ulrike

The Pensive Poet said...

Rachel--I agree, I love the bridal and ornaments of the horse in the photo! Makes me want to go to some Eastern land and dress up in flowing robes and ride one like that, haha.

Ulrike--Lovely videos! Your profile is disabled so I couldn't find your site to comment. But thank you for sharing! : )

Cara said...

I hate weeks, or even days, like that. I hope you always know I love you.

I'm so excited for you!! I miss riding. I don't have too much experience - just riding with my aunt in the country when I was a little girl.

The way you describe the Akhal-Teke sounds beautiful, like the perfect horse for you.

It would be so fun if Kelly and I could see you at the same time some day. I'll be in Tulsa around the holidays, so hopefully we'll get to see each other (: