Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I've been completely obsessed with this song lately.  
It is "I will possess your heart" by Death Cab for Cutie.  
If you get tired of all the music in the beginning, 
drag the little bobble approximately to the middle--that's 
where the singing begins.

My friend also sent me this song ("Dust" by Royworld):
...and promptly admonished me to 'never live your life on a shelf.'  
I feel like I don't live life on a shelf. I live my life very deliberately 
and thoughtfully. I try to live with intent rather than by default. I pursue
the things I love and try to minimize the things I don't. I travel to the 
places of my wildest dreams and try to love people with all I have to give. I 
try to be a good, no, great person. I realize mistakes are part of the 
learning process and don't believe people are broken. I grow and I 
learn every day.

Do you think I live life on a shelf? What about you?

6 comments:

mimimacg3 said...

No, you don't live life on a shelf. definitely not. I wouldnt call someone a shelf liver unless they were dull and/or afraid to go after their dreams. You are definitely not either of those things. You're a great and interesting person, and I'm blessed to call you my friend :)

Martha Elaine Belden said...

you don't.

i don't think i do either.

i think as long as someone is content with their lives, regardless of how others look at their lives, they're living life how they want.

whether on a shelf or not.

Martha Elaine Belden said...

that comment was wrought with horrible grammar.

just wanted to point out that i do acknowledge this :)

crackers and cheese said...

NPR is also completely obsessed with this new Death Cab song. The folks on World Cafe are absolutely in love with the fact that Death Cab has created a great 8 minute plus "prog-rock" type song. So don't skip over the music for the first several minutes - it's all part of the magic and setup!

No, I don't think you live life on a shelf. Not at all. Do you think that your friend was trying to imply that you did?

crackers and cheese said...

So, I commented on this post without watching the Death Cab video. Incredible, and it even won an award for Best Editing in a Music Video at the MTV Music Video Awards (which I normally wouldn't give a crap about). It was filmed in London, Paris, Frankfurt, Carthage, Tunis, Bangkok, Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, Tokyo, Hokkaido and New York City.

I do and don't want to be the girl in that video. I want to see the places she sees and sometimes I want that kind of escape from my world and insulation from those around me, but mostly I desire connection, and the loneliness and disconnection that this video and song portrays is not something that I want.

Cara said...

Hell no &
hell no.