Sunday, December 23, 2007

Productivity

Lately I've been reading an encouraging book about art called The View From the Studio Door:  How Artists Find Their Way In An Uncertain World by Ted Orland.  He and David Bayles wrote another fabulous book, Art & Fear.  

Sometimes producing art is scary.  You feel uncreative, afraid of people's judgment, fear not being able to produce immediate masterpieces.  Ted writes that with the first brush stroke or pen mark you have been creative--you have brought something new into existence (though the idea of whether anything is new or not is a whole other concept to ponder).  While masterpieces are inspiring and often elicit praise, you shouldn't do your work for all this, but because you enjoy the process.  

That makes one feel better about each piece of work produced--when one can deeply appreciate it for the joy of the process.


In other non-news, break has been good though a bit boring so far.  It seems I don't know what to do with myself when I don't have looming, ominous deadlines.

Last night was a fun time.  My friends Brian and Eric were in from out of town as well as my friend Abbey.  They all came over and got to meet Shawn (Abbey already had, briefly).  We all ended up going out to my favorite relaxed bar.  I couldn't believe Brian bought everyone's drinks!  

As I was reviewing the night this morning, I came to a startling realization.  I think I'm very hesitant to trust people my own age.  But with people even just a few years older, I automatically feel a bit more at ease.  Interesting.

Well, I'm off to the not-so-glam job of cleaning my shower (it is vile by now).  Hope everyone's having a lovely break and holiday!

1 comment:

Martha Elaine Belden said...

i'm glad you're enjoying your break :) and both of those books certainly sound intriguing. i agree entirely about creativity being scary. i want so badly to start writing a book. i have so much free time right now, and i feel like i should be productive. take advantage and start. but i'm terrified.

maybe i should check out art and fear :)

p.s. i talked to my dad, and he said don't get a blue healer unless he/she has a lot of room to run around and you plan to do stuff with him all the time. he said they're great dogs, but they need a lot of activity and space to run. and i think that pretty much goes with any larger dog... especially any of the hunting/herding variety.

hope that helps :D