Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Martha's Interview Questions

1. no holds barred... tell me about your dream life. GO!

Dream life now or later? Wildest fantasy dream life or more practical? I guess all of my dream worlds have a few things in common: I would be with the person of my dreams (which is a whole 'nother post or fifteen, but a quick list of traits would be: deeply compassionate, beliefs complement mine, giving, a continual burden to make a positive impact in the world, funny...), be a deaf educator, working and volunteering to make a positive difference in the world. Ideally we would be doing this someplace warm, if not tropical. And by the beach. And we could learn to surf and scuba dive. We would travel often to places all over the globe, sometimes for humanitarian goals, other times just for enjoyment. We might have kids (I haven't decided about this yet). If we had kids, we might have 4, 2 of whom would be adopted and Deaf. And I guess that is my fantasy dream life, and I don't think it's too impossible to say it might happen. : )


2. if you could author the biography of anyone (alive or dead; famous or not), who would it be and why?

Heehee, my first response was Harry Potter. I wish I could write like J.K. Rowling. Not to mention have her royalties... She is so creative. It is so hard to write an "easy read." I would love to be able to tap into the imagination like that.


3. if you could have been born a child prodigy... what would you want your remarkable gift/talent to be?

Hm, I don't have a clear answer on this. Perhaps just connecting with people. I kinda wish I had been born a person who is lively, vivaceous, talkative, hilariously entertaining, etc. Not that I don't have measures of these qualities. But I think I'd rather have amazing people skills rather than fame and/or fortune.


4. if someone were to make a movie about your life, who would you want to play you? why?

Nicole Kidman and Gwyneth Paltrow run pretty close. I think Nicole Kidman might be able to capture my emotional side a little bit better than Gwyneth, but then again, Gwyneth did do a great job in an emotional role in Proof, so it's a hard choice.


5. what is the greatest gift you've ever been given? what's the greatest gift you've ever given to someone else?

Probably my sense of compassion. Who gives you that gift? God? Your parents? You? Without my sense of compassion and empathy for others, I would like to think I'd feel very adrift. In fact, if I had to choose between having amazing people skills or a quietly intense sense of compassion, I'd choose compassion any day.

The greatest gift I've ever given to someone is time. People spend time on the people and things that are most important to them, and never think that people don't realize it if you don't spend time with them.

3 comments:

Cara said...

OooOoo, great answers, britt. you really do have the gift of compassion.

Martha Elaine Belden said...

i like it. so glad you filled it out :)

crackers and cheese said...

I think that Gywneth Paltrow could play you very well :) You are blessed with the gift of compassion, and I think that is a gift that just keeps growing as you use it more and continue to mature.