Sunday, November 12, 2006

Dreams

For some reason dreams have always interested me. I love to hear people's totally wild and random ones. And sometimes it's fun to speculate about what they might mean. I believe that what you dream at night is your mind trying to process things from the day. And sometimes you can work through problems by analyzing your dreams. One time a friend of mine told me the most absurdly bizarre dream, but after we talked about it she saw that it related to something she had been struggling with that week!

I don't really believe in those dream manuals that tell you what stuff in your dream symbolizes. That seems pretty phony and superstitious. Feel free to prove me wrong. But I do think it might help to pay a little more attention to dreams and think about whether they can relate to anything in your life. If you think about it, when you're asleep is probably the time that you're the most honest with yourself and your mind is most open to expression. Sometimes during the day you can supress thoughts, but it's not quite as easy to do that when you're asleep.





The human mind is so fascinating.

3 comments:

crackers and cheese said...

I pretty much agree with you - I think dreams are the brain processing through things that have happened that previous day, or thoughts or feelings that we're working through. I don't think you should read too much into them, and I don't really know what I believe about the unconcious, but I do know that with my dreams, as bizarre as they my be, I can always identify elements that relate to something that's going on in my life or something that's worrying me. Sometimes, I'll have a disturbing dream about an ex or someone who's hurt me, and I take that as a sign that something in me is still not settled, which leads me to examine myself and pray about it. Sometimes I think I've forgiven someone or don't care about something anymore, but then I'll have a dream about it and wake up feeling emotional and realize that I still need to deal with it.

Cara said...

haha, i have a sort of funny story. at least i think it's funny. yesterday, as i was walking around i came to the conclusion that i could be happy if i didn't get married. all i really want is to help people and have children, and you don't need a husband to do that. and then last night i had not one, but two dreams about me getting married. so, now all i want is to get married...

silly dreams.

Cara said...

p.s. last night my seƱora showed me photos from her daughter's wedding for about an hour, so, yeah, i just want to get married.